FEMA UPDATE 4/25/2016

Just wanted to let everyone know that FEMA will be in St. Charles County, including West Alton, this week looking at Repetitive Loss Properties.  We just wanted to pass on the information in case you see them so that you are aware of what they are doing.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Two St. Louis-area recovery centers remain open; West Alton closes Saturday

Residents of the St. Louis area continue to have the opportunity to visit FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers in Franklin and Jefferson counties. However, the St. Charles County Recovery Center, at Immaculate Conception Community Center in West Alton, will cease operations at 7 p.m. Saturday.

The recovery centers offer in-person support to individuals and businesses from any of the 33 Missouri counties included in the Jan. 21, 2016, Missouri federal disaster declaration. In addition to visiting the centers, anyone with questions may get answers by calling the FEMA Helpline, 800-621-3362 (800-621-FEMA).

Recovery specialists from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and other agencies are at the centers to discuss aid and assist anyone who needs help with an application.

People may visit the recovery center at the Immaculate Conception Community Center, 14060 N. State Route 94, West Alton, MO 63386, until 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 27.

Recovery centers at the following locations remain open until further notice:


Tri-County Senior Center

800 W. Union Street

Pacific, MO 63069.


Arnold City Hall

2101 Jeffco Blvd.

Arnold, MO 63010.

Centers are open from 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Mon.-Sat., closed Sundays.

Survivors can find their nearest disaster recovery center by going online to fema.gov/drc.

Individuals and businesses are encouraged to register with FEMA before visiting a disaster recovery center. Register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by using the FEMA app for smartphones. Register by phone by calling toll-free 800-621-3362 (800-621-FEMA), 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice. Multilingual assistance is available.

Disaster assistance applicants who are hard of hearing or have a speech disability and use TTY should call 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) should call 800-621-3362.

Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment


URGENT: If you received a white tag on your house like the picture below and did not call and get an inspection you must do this.  The number to schedule your inspection is 636-949-7500 ext. 7290.   If you do not get this inspection you may be in jeopardy of having your home/structure condemned.



Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment

Flood Damage Reports

The first batch of Post Flood Inspection Damage Assessment letters are in the mail.  When you receive your letter please call City Hall and 636-899-1734 to schedule your appointment to go over your report in detail.

Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment


If you had Flood Damage at your home it is highly recommended that you register with FEMA so that you can find out if you qualify for assistance.  They are here to help, but they can’t do that if you don’t register with them. You can do this by going to the Immaculate Conception Community Center. FEMA has the Disaster Recovery Center setup there.  They can answer your questions in person and try to provide assistance.  Please take advantage of this resource while it is available and conveniently located right in our town.

Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment

Commonly Asked Questions About Federal Disaster Aid

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – After the severe storms and flooding that occurred in Missouri between December 23, 2015 and January 9, 2016, residents in the 33 declared counties became eligible for federal assistance. People who suffered losses and damage in the wake of the disaster are urged to seek help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).


The eligible counties are Barry, Barton, Camden, Cape Girardeau, Cole, Crawford, Franklin, Gasconade, Greene, Hickory, Jasper, Jefferson, Laclede, Lawrence, Lincoln, Maries, McDonald, Morgan, Newton, Osage, Phelps, Polk, Pulaski, Scott, St. Charles, St. Francois, St. Louis, Ste. Genevieve, Stone, Taney, Texas, Webster and Wright.


There are many misconceptions about getting help from FEMA. Often, people who would qualify for assistance miss out on assistance because they don’t have access to correct information.


Commonly asked questions about disaster aid from FEMA:


Q: Who should apply for federal disaster assistance?

A: Missouri homeowners and renters in disaster-designated counties who sustained damage to their homes, vehicles or personal property as a result of the severe storms and flooding from December 23, 2015 through January 9, 2016 can apply for FEMA grants.


Q: How do I apply?

A: Residents who were affected can apply for assistance online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.  Those who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services can call 800-621-3362. The application deadline is March 21.


Q: What kinds of FEMA grants are available?

A: Disaster assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing, emergency home repairs, uninsured and underinsured personal property losses and medical, dental and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, along with other serious disaster-related expenses.


Q: What happens after I register?

A: You will receive a phone call from a FEMA inspector to arrange for a survey of the damages. This will come just days after you register. All FEMA inspectors will have official identification. They do not approve or deny claims or requests; those come after the inspection results are submitted. FEMA inspectors do not ask for money and do not recommend contractors to make repairs.


  1. I’ve already cleaned up and made repairs to my property. Am I still eligible to register with FEMA?
  2. Yes. You may be eligible for reimbursement of your clean-up and repair expenses. Before and after photos of the damaged property can help expedite your application for assistance.


Q: Does my income need to be under a certain dollar amount to qualify for disaster aid?

A: FEMA’s Housing Assistance program is available, regardless of income, to anyone who suffered damages or losses in disaster-declared counties. However, aid for other losses such as personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses is income-dependent and officials make decisions on a case-by-case basis. To be considered for a grant for these types of losses, the applicant must complete an application for an SBA loan.


  1. I have flood insurance. Should I still register with FEMA?
  2. Yes. But please contact your insurance company first.


Q: Does the Small Business Administration (SBA) offer loans to homeowners and renters?

A: Yes. The SBA is the primary source of financial assistance following a disaster and provides low-interest disaster loans to homeowners and renters.


Q: Do I have to be turned down by my bank before I can apply for a disaster loan?

A: No. The SBA has its own criteria for determining each loan applicant’s eligibility.


Q: If I rent an apartment, can I get help to replace my damaged personal property?

A: Yes. Renters may qualify for a FEMA grant. Renters may also qualify for SBA disaster loans.


Q: Will FEMA pay for all home repairs or contract work?

A: No. FEMA does not pay to return your home to its pre-disaster condition. FEMA provides grants to qualified homeowners to repair damage not covered by insurance, but these grants may not pay for all the damage. However, an SBA disaster loan may return a home to its pre-disaster condition.


Q: Do I have to repay money I receive for disaster relief?

A: No. You do not have to repay grant money, however SBA disaster loans must be repaid.


Q: Do I have to be a legal U.S. resident to receive Individual Assistance?

A: No. If you have a child living at home who is a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien, you may apply for Individual Assistance on that child’s behalf and you may be eligible to receive Individual Assistance. FEMA may provide undocumented, eligible immigrants with short-term, non-cash emergency aid.


Q: How can I check the status of my case?

A: You may go online to www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call the toll-free FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (FEMA) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. If you need face-to-face assistance, visit a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) or speak with someone from one of FEMA’s Disaster Survivor Assistance (DSA) teams currently going door-to-door in Missouri’s disaster-declared counties. All DRCs are accessible and equipped with tools to accommodate disaster survivors who need disability related communication aids.






Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders and ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Stay informed of FEMA’s activities online: videos and podcasts available at www.fema.gov/media-library and www.youtube.com/fema; follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/fema  and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fema.

The SBA is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955, emailing disastercustomerservice@sba.gov, or visiting SBA’s website at www.sba.gov/disaster. Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339.

Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment

FEMA Offers Free Rebuilding Tips at Local Home Improvement Stores

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – As Missourians rebuild and repair after the recent severe storms and floods, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and local home improvement stores have teamed up to provide free information, tips and literature on making homes stronger and safer.

FEMA mitigation specialists are now available at stores in St. Louis and St. Charles counties to answer questions and offer home improvement tips to prevent and lessen damage from future disasters. Most of the information is geared toward do-it-yourself work and general contractors.

Advisers will be available February 4-9 at the following locations . . .


  • Home Depot at 1920 Wentzville Parkway, Wentzville, MO 63385
  • Menards at 151 Spencer Road, St. Peters, MO 63376
  • Lowe’s at 14810 Manchester Road, Ballwin, MO 63011


During these times . . .


  • Thursday to Saturday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Sunday 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
  • Monday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Tuesday 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Mitigation teams will also have free reference booklets on protecting your home from flood damage. More information about strengthening property can be found at www.fema.gov/what-mitigation.

Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment



You have until then to get any debris to the edge of the public road and then call 211 or message us and we will pass your location on to the contractor.

Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment


The City of West Alton has hired St. Charles County to do our damage assessments after the Flood of 2015. These assessments must be done to protect the home owner and keep us in compliance with FEMA. All homes within the city limits will be inspected regardless of water damage to ensure the safety of residents and the community. The team from St. Charles will be starting soon. This team will need to enter your homes and do damage assessment on the exterior and interior. The outcome of the damage assessment will be formulated and sent to you showing the percentage of damage that you have within your business/home. After these assessments are done and you have received this in the mail you will need to schedule an appointment with the City of West Alton Officials and Flood Plain Director. At that time we will meet with you and go over your assessment and discuss your options and the recovery plan for you and your family. The phone number for the City of West Alton is 636-899-1734. Since we also have received water damage our building is temporarily closed. We hope to be back in sometime next week. When you call this number you will be able to leave a message with your name, address and phone number. Someone will return your call. Please remember that we work regular jobs so we may not be able to return your call until early evening.

Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment


If you would like to have the volunteers who are coming to the area help at your home you have a few options. You can call AMERICORPS directly at 314-539-4047. They are partnered with the United Way, Southern Baptists Assc., American Red Cross, All Hands, Catholic Charities, and others.

Another thing you can do is stop by the Fire Dept and put your name, address and phone number on the signup sheet. When the volunteers come in they can look at the sheet and give you a call.

Posted in Flood 2015 | Leave a comment